New here

Please Say Hello
Vickysnape

New here

Postby Vickysnape » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:23 am

Hi all, I'm new here having found the site by complete accident last week. I've ended up with a couple of hundred quid in betfair through Match betting. Apart from re loads that has pretty much dried up but I realised I liked hanging around on betfair watching the way prices moved and trying to work out why etc.
So now I have this new hobby I know little about but learn something new everyday. I've been dabbling with dobbing for a few weeks now although I didn't know what I was doing had a name, but my selection choices have been made so far without a clear method and with small stakes whilst I work out what I'm doing and why. So far the betfair account is more up than down and I'm massively over cautious which at times has both saved me and cost me.
So anyway I found patternform and also it's fb page and I've done lots of reading which is saving me from my usual pre Christmas rage. I've started dabbling with selections using methods similar or the same as someone posting over on fb and I've had some success. I've probably got loads of questions, too many but I don't want to come across like someone who just wants everything on a plate without putting the effort in. Plus, sometimes it's better when you work stuff out for yourself if you can.
I am a complete novice at this but whilst working through tomorrow's races I noticed my two selections for a race had the same trainer, Roger Fell. Then I remembered reading a post on here the other day about how trainers sometimes send lesser able horses along with their better horses for company so I checked to see how many horses he had in this particular race and he has three and then later on in the day he has another horse at much shorter odds in another race.
So it might sound like a daft question to those with experience but is it usual for a trainer to put three of his horses in one race? Also, the fact that he has another horse at much shorter odds later on, does it have any significance or is it just a case of well we're going anyway so let's take those three. They can keep our best horse company and we'll chuck them in the first race and see what happens. Thanks for your time xx

martinkil

Re: New here

Postby martinkil » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 am

Welcome Vicky - sorry for the delay but I've finally sorted out how to moderate this board and allow new posters post to be viewed by everybody.

You'll often get a trainer taking more than one runner to the course because it helps with the transport costs, and even if the race isn't really suitable for the other runner, a loss will help bring down his handicap mark.

I can't say I've ever analysed how trainers do when they have multiple entries - some may well make a profit - I'll have to have a look.

Vickysnape

Postby Vickysnape » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks for the reply. It was just one of many things that caught my eye as an absolute newbie to this. I sit at work looking busy with a big file in front of me and behind it is my phone with the patterform page and betfair open and a notebook full of over excited scribbles. Luckily they can't keep staff so they're grateful I show up haha.
I've been looking at books to download so I can skive and learn at work even outside racing hours. But a lot of them seem very " get rich quick" and have crap reviews or are flogging a particular system. What little I do know has come from staring at the betfair screen for hours on end watching prices going up and down trying to work out why, the attheraces website and of course pattern form. I'm hoping now the settings have been changed here that the forum gets as lively as the Facebook page has been.

shakeshuck

Postby shakeshuck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Occasionally a stable will put a 'pacemaker' horse in a race along with a contender, the aim being to stop the contender going with the flow and potentially running at the wrong speed to maximise its performance.

Return to “Sign In”