Rule 4

Any general discussion an go here
ashofmk

Rule 4

Postby ashofmk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 am

Hi people,

I've been betting now for some time, but the majority of which has been limited to the weekends.

Over the past 6 to 8 months I've had th pleasure of firstly finding this wonderful forum and secondly meeting some likeminded punters.

I've recently been stung by the dreaded rule 4 with Bet365, and having been stung by some £300 I've decide to air my disapproval over to you guys and warn ya.

What I find disconcerting is that the rule has only just became apparent over the past two days of betting for me, so I thefeore have few questions.

1) has it suddenly been introduced onto my account, because prior to Monday, I had similar races with similar situations but with no rule 4 applied
2) has someone at Bet365 had an error on their system and therefore excessive rule 4 entries have been submitted
3) is it legal and if so.....Are other punters airing their disapproval.

It seems to me that it's a get out clause for bookies and a completely illegal venture that should be brought up to the authorities. I can't believe that punters haven't raised concern and vented anger regarding this.

Is there a governing body, as it were, who we can approach for fair play.....punters ombudsman for example? I read an interesting article today on punters being conned through rule 4 manipulation, not sure if it's true but it sounds plausible...see for yourself:

https://Google.co.uk/amp/s/www.geegeez. ... ation/amp/

You put your bet and you take your chances, you lose, you lose.....how the hell can they change the goalposts a minute before the race is due to run...it's disgusting.

If this is the way betting is going then I'm done with it......it's a disgrace.

martinkil

Re: Rule 4

Postby martinkil » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:48 am

Rule 4 - covers the situation when a runner is withdrawn before the market can be reformed. It's there to protect the bookmaker from an unfair book.

Consider a 3 horse race - 7/4 - 7/4 and 7/4 - 109% over round.

i.e. - If a bookie takes £100 on each - then he pays the winner £275 keeping £25 for himself

If one of them is withdrawn just before the off, then the £100 stake on that runner needs to be returned - but without rule 4 whichever of the other two wins the bookie will lose £75 (payout £275, but only keep £200).

If you take an early price and a runner at less than 16-1 in the market is withdrawn you may also get a rule 4 for the same reason

Kingshu

Postby Kingshu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm

I actually think rule 4 is fair enough. I hope I can get you to agree.

After the final declarations
I think you will accept that after the final declarations, if your horse is a non runner you should be refunded and the bookie will not keep your bet, this goes hand in hand with Rule four.

If you think you should be refunded on a non runner then the market needs reformed and rule 4 applied.

If you think rule 4 should not be applied, then you would also expect the bookie to keep your bet on a non runners (the prices stay the same)

You cannot be refunded on non runners and not have rule 4, its either both or neither.

I hope this clears it up, and you have been refunded on Non runners in the past that will even out your rule 4 losses.

ashofmk

Postby ashofmk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi guys...

I've calmed down now and having digested your replies I accept that it's fair and I will have to eat some humble pie...

I was having a bad day and all my bets were getting rule 4 applied because of non runners.

I accept the rule totally and apologise for the rant

Return to “Down The Pub”