A day at the races

Any general discussion an go here
martinkil

A day at the races

Postby martinkil » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 am

I've had some bad days at the races but I hit rock bottom on Saturday at Cheltenham. The usual jovial banter in the car on the way revealed the various good things with unanimity in the first. No problems getting to the course and we were soon seated in the cinema folding style seats watching the big screen pint in hand.
Disappointment in the first when Monte Christo like many French imports was unable to transfer his continental form to these shores on his debut, poor start but it happens.
A difference of opinion in the second, and my selection decided that the first fence looked less inviting than its wings, which he smashed through, depositing his jockey on the turf.
Those who watched the third will know who I had made my nap for the day. Yes of course the ill fated Warthog about who I had managed 13-2 on course about the 4-1 fav, who lost his action after the first and was pulled up with a fatal injury. I now feared for any runner I fancied!
The only answer was to drown my sorrows with a rather nice craft beer, but it was not to be. Having taken a gulp and put it safely on the floor, three gentlemen wanted to leave our row of seats, so being next to the aisle I moved into it to allow easy access out, but too late I noticed the last gents raincoat resting on his left forearm and as he squeezed past my brother, I froze like a rabbit in headlights as my pint toppled over, the raincoat man oblivious to the chaos left in his wake.
Needless to say the rest of my selections all finished out of the frame, but thankfully safe.
On the way home we went for our traditional pub meal, and I foolishly went to get the beers, and having noticed both sides of the bar had one server and there was a big queue on one side I nipped over to the sports side to get served sooner, but karma intervened, and as I arrived both servers had moved to sort out the queue and an almost ten minute wait ensued.
Having been dropped off and standing in front of the house door I feared that the only fitting end to the day would be an empty key pocket – but my trusty key was where it should have been – RESULT at last!!

Searmh

Re: A day at the races

Postby Searmh » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 am

I was with cloudy glen and warthog too, such a shame about warthog. Will have all had days like this, guess you have to laugh, though maybe a few days later when youve finished crying :lol:

martinkil

Postby martinkil » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Yes a strange mixture of laughing/crying for most of the afternoon. After the pint toppled over it was an acceptance that this simply wasn't my day.

bootsnspurs2017

Postby bootsnspurs2017 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:31 pm

I was on Warthog too, such a loss, the stable girl who looks after him was extremely upset apparently, such a beautiful horse wasn't he?

GMBing

Postby GMBing » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:20 am

Being stranded on the other side of the stream I'm off to the Dublin festival at Leopardstown on Saturday and Sunday. Please may my weekend at the races go better than yours. A Plus Tard is my pre meeting nap.

ashofmk

Postby ashofmk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 pm

Haha Martin, I feel your pain.

It always happens to the best of us!

Return to “Down The Pub”