Clarify Speed Columns/Numbers

Let us know how you use Patterform to help newcomers
jimonline

Clarify Speed Columns/Numbers

Postby jimonline » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi Martin
Think I understand the speed ratings...,(hopefully)
If you could help with these bits. I've read and get muddled a bit on the explanations.
Are the speed numbers lengths per minute based on start to finish over the filters used.

Do the columns mean
Speed - Best 3 numbers on them filters
Multi - An average rating between the speed and official rating
OR - official rating on filters.
Ran To - last 3 race numbers?

Thanks

martinkil

Re: Clarify Speed Columns/Numbers

Postby martinkil » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:01 pm

All ratings are dependant on the filters selected, and they are the best three available - using the filters.

The Multi is a combination of the speed and ranto rating I was asked to create many years ago and since users have told me they find them useful I've left them alone. Personally I never use them.

The speed ratings are just that - speed ratings. Exactly how they are calculated are proprietary.

DrewH

Postby DrewH » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Martin
Another question which might help - in cases where the Speed figure is negative or zero (eg Solway Dandy in the 12th July 14:00 Perth, which shows the Speed figure for the 2nd July race as -4.9), how reliable do you believe the RanTo figure will be? I've seen a few examples of this - in general I tend to base any decisions on other form indicators if it looks like any of the data is suspect.
Drew

martinkil

Postby martinkil » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:07 am

Negative speed figures usually indicate that the race was run very slowly in relations to other races on the day and would definitely make that speed figure suspect. The RanTo is based on relative form of the runners against which he's racing and should still be fine

Return to “How To Use Patternform”