Old Post - Peter Island

Note on any runner for future reference
martinkil

Old Post - Peter Island

Postby martinkil » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 am

nhughz

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:29 pm Post subject: Peter Island

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only reason i didn't trade Peter Island at LIA on 20/4/07 was because he was without his usual visor on his return to the track after 214 days off. Traded around 40 on betfair and touched 4.1 in-running. Clearly still improving and capable of winning from his current mark of 80, he is one to keep on the right side. He has plenty of toe and does it from the front end, a sharp 6f looks ideal.

nhughz

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:10 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entered on Monday, 7.00 at Windsor. Richard Hughes is an interesting jockey booking and the visor is back on. I'll have a closer look on Monday.

nhughz

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:38 am Post subject:

Just going to be a watching brief for Peter Island today, poorly drawn and will have too much competition up front from the likes of Lucayos and Blue Aura with a few others sat right on their heels.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:14 am Post subject:

Showed lots of pace to get to the front early and looks to have gone far too fast (as you thought might happen) until fading in the final couple of furlongs. Should drop another pound or two after that.

nhughz

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:37 am Post subject:

Yes he has pace. I'm not asking for much, just........a sharp 6f, a good draw, a decent jockey, 2 or 3lb's less would be nice and no other pace in the race

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:59 pm Post subject:

5f at Newbury was almost good enough.
At 16/1 he was only caught in the last 100 yards.

nhughz

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:18 pm Post subject:

Come on Mr Gallagher..........not on a Sunday for crying out loud. They should have handicapped this fellow for a nice touch anyhow, poor training effort imo.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 am Post subject:

Winner at last. Managed to hold on over near 6f at brighton

nhughz

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:41 pm Post subject:

A fantastic type to trade because of his early pace, running style and attitude but if i owned him he would not be wasted at John Gallagher's yard. I just hope the handicapper doestn't put him up too much.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:29 am Post subject:

3.30 at Brighton - 25th Oct 07 -
He's back down to just a pound higher than his winning weight over course and distance in August. He has Crowley on top again. No real trail blazers today, but he showed when he won he can sit in second and take it up inside the final furlong. .............. and he's 25.0+

Blinker on today - I would have preferred a visor

nhughz

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:23 pm Post subject:

Hi Martin

Been really busy today but hoping to be trading tomorrow afternoon. I see Peter Island set a strong pace today, what did he trade ir?
Not that i would have traded anyway, i've finished with turf racing on the level for the season.

Nathan

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:00 am Post subject:

nhughz wrote:
Yes he has pace. I'm not asking for much, just........a sharp 6f, a good draw, a decent jockey, 2 or 3lb's less would be nice and no other pace in the race

Looks like you got the lot today Nathan at Goodwood
75 rating, sharp 6, only real pace in the race (not sure if the fav next door will keep up) and drawn in the middle

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:51 am Post subject:

Yipeeeeeeeee

What a tough horse - drifted out to 14+

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:08 am Post subject:

Goes again today in the first at Windsor.

Carries 9.10 - his formline when carrying 9-6+ reads: 81322 - so we should expect a good run. There is other pace in the race but no real trail blazers and he showed last time that he doesn't need to lead all the way and that he can fight back when headed.

Drop in class as well.

9+ at the moment, but he's never won after a win and that could make him drift.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 pm Post subject:

Looks like he'll be at it again this season after Nathans notes:

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 04:59 pm Post subject: Wed
I see Peter Island returns to the track tonight at KEA (9.20). He's blessed with speed and has won over CD for Jim Crowley before, from a 2lb lower mark. He may well need a run to blow away the cobwebs but at his current price of 12.0 he's still got a great chance of trading lower in-play...

nhughz

Backed from 10/1-7/1 pre-race, he scalped nicely from 15 to sub 10. I took some of my stake in-play and traded out for a profit at 5 but my big Green was unmatched much lower. He traded down to 3.45 and this looked a good blow out. He can win again soon as he retains his speed and runs on for pressure...

nhughz

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:43 pm Post subject:

Hopefully Martin

nhughz

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:28 pm Post subject:

Just as we'd hoped Martin, another win for us under ideal conditions

At a bank boosting 10/1!!

nhughz

Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:27 am Post subject:

Ran well enough today and still doing the business for the DOB boys but realisticaly looks held by the handicapper at this level. He is still capable of trading low IR though; today's BFSP 25.49 down to 3.6 IR left plenty of room for profit...

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:33 am Post subject:

Fantastic run in this class 2 Hcap. Led and was 5l clear 2f out but was collered 3/4 of a furlong out and faded to be beaten 5l. Traded from 24 to sub 4.0 IR ... nice ...

Beaten 7l last time having been put up to 86 after that last win - with 5l today, surely should come down 2 - 3 pound next time.

nhughz

Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:07 am Post subject:

Oooh thats a big ask Martin........maybe a pound at least

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:14 am Post subject:

I was ever the optimist with the 2-3 lb drop... just the one pound off then and back to 85.
Class 3 today (2.45 War) but this is the track which should suit - won this last year (must have been class 4 then).
A small field today and it's unlikely that Music Box Express will be able to live with Peter Island, but if he does he'll be on his outside and Peter Island should have the advantage of the rails. If they do go off at a scalding pace the other will most likely let them get on with it having seen Peter Island come back to the field it it's last two runs.
Today though there is a bend and Peter Island won't be able to go full throttle all the way around it and may well be able to kick on off the bend and build up a DOBBABLE lead - could even surprise again!

nhughz

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:45 am Post subject:

Can't disagree with you Martin...

The market looks fairly predictable in that Bennellech is way too short for a horse yet to win on turf and will drift. Peter Island and Bond City will likely shorten as second and third fav...

nhughz

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 am Post subject:

Money for old rope Martin.....

Peter Island down to 2.02 IR and having traded the drifting Benllech he went down to 1.6 IR...

As soon as Peter Island drops back down the ratings to around 80, he'll be back in the winners enclosure for us. He really does have plenty of early toe and not much can live with him, infact i'm amazed he's never been tried back over 5f...

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:58 am Post subject:

Yes - beaten 5l+ so another pound off with any luck (2lb would be nice )

pytelium

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 am Post subject:

I DOBBED him too..no time to post earlier..I think thats 3 in a row dobs on him..

nhughz

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:40 pm Post subject:

Martinkil wrote:
Yes - beaten 5l+ so another pound off with any luck (2lb would be nice )

The handicapper should drop him at least 1lb...

nhughz wrote:
As soon as Peter Island drops back down the ratings to around 80, he'll be back in the winners enclosure for us. He really does have plenty of early toe and not much can live with him, infact i'm amazed he's never been tried back over 5f...

Unfortunately the handicapper knows this all too well and me thinks it might be KEA in the winter when he's back in the winners enclosure; that is unless Mr Gallagher plays it canny...

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:45 pm Post subject:

Oh ...... so you also think he needs a few races over .......... 7/8/9f

nhughz

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:49 pm Post subject:

Would i suggest such a thing Martin

I doubt you could restrain him early in a race and it's not worth risking dissappointing him. You would think a few runs on soft would see his turf mark lowered at the back end of the season but then the handicapper would see him go round KEA like he's on rails

What options have you got when the handicappers are so ruthless with horses like Peter Island...??

Trainers who can play the game are worth their weight in gold...

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:57 am Post subject:

Into a class 2 race today (5.45 Good) - GS but could well be good by this afternoon
Has blinkers on today rather than the visor.
Last time he ran here in this grade he was 6l clear by halfway.
Will the blinkers be as good as the visor.
No chance of winning (will fade from over 1 out at best), but he's such a big price 50+, as long as he does his blast and run he could well DOB unless someone takes a large IR position above the dobbing point

His BFsp was 60.0 and he traded down to 4.2 IR

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:15 am Post subject:

Class 3 tonight and he's down to 82.
Drawn close to the rails (high). He'll be out and away and must have a great chance of dobbing again with his great recent dobbing history.

Bel Cantor didn't let him have much of a lead today and he was beaten by 2f out. Another pound off the hcap make for this one hopes (82 down to 81).

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:01 am Post subject:

Down to 80 today and should get a clear run in the middle of the course.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:08 am Post subject:

dropped 2lb per race over the last 3 races and should be another two for today's run at Epsom so back on to 76 which is close to it's last winning mark (75).

nhughz

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:57 am Post subject:

Peter Islands AW mark should be none too bad and he should be back in the winners enclosure this season; most likely at KEA...

nhughz

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:56 am Post subject:

Having won at KEA on his very next start after my last post, Peter Island also won at Bri last summer from a mark of 79.

I'll be watching my old friend today in the hope he retains his old sparkle as an 8yo. He is 1 lb above his winning turf OR today at Leic where he still holds the course record at today's trip. He did win FTO last season but that was in winning the start i mention above and as stated in my last post he was running from a favourable mark. It's likely he might need the run today but it has to be noted he is entered at Windsor on Monday, so perhaps a plot is afoot...

Best price this morning 10/1 and i'll probably scalp him pre-race just incase he is fully wound up FTO.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:53 am Post subject:

Hugh Taylor has made quite a good case for FLOWING CAPE in this race based mainly on it's last race (two subsequent winners from 2 runs). Btn 12l that day in a fast time was only about 6 lengths off the leaders 1f out.

My main worry would be that it was just 13 days ago and if he has run upto his best he might bounce off such exertions.

I might try to DOB our old friend if he drifts enough ... 18+ maybe

nhughz

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:34 am Post subject:

Runs today 4.40 Bri and current best price of 11/2 looks too big for my money. I expect a good run today...

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:33 pm Post subject:

Didn't start with his usual zip - took him a furlong to get the lead!!
Maybe they have some races down the line in view and a few pounds off his back is the aim?

nhughz

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:50 am Post subject:

Good chance at Brighton (5.10) today. If he doesn't go very close from this mark, he's probably best left alone for a while...

Definitely not looking his old sparkling self this season.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 pm Post subject:

Yes that early zip is missing. If it ever returns he's going to be very dangerously handicapped, very soon (must be down from 75 to 72/71 after that last run)

nhughz

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:51 am Post subject:

Still showing early pace but not finishing his races and looks a bit fed up with the game at the minute. As you say could bounce back all guns blazing but would have to be a very good price for me to get involved at present.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:47 am Post subject:

Dropped to 67 for an apprentice race at Kempton and change of headgear to blinkers from a visor. 20+, I'll have a little on but mainly for watching

nhughz

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:48 pm Post subject:

Down to 3.0 i notice but i didn't see the race Martin.

Martinkil
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:53 pm Post subject:

Ran a lot better. Showed early pace to get a length and a half lead then quickened into a 3l lead coming into the straight and kept on when headed just inside the final furlong. Much more like it and he's down to 72 on turf and 67 on the AW.

Return to “Notebook”