Damon's selections

Any comments on today's racing. Please don't just put in selections ... please add some reason why you think a runner will win
damon2290

Re: Damon's selections

Postby damon2290 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:05 pm

It’s been a while but I will be posting some selections on here again on the days that I do have a bet, I’m guessing nobody will even look but I can definitely guarantee a couple of decent winners and plenty of losers. These are not tips, just my own personal fancies and opinions. I usually bet all selections as singles and also place an EW lucky 15 if I have chosen enough horses on the day, just in case I hit the jackpot.

2.50 Beverley

Prestbury Park - Ex Mark Johnstone horse who is unexposed at the trip, now with Paul Midgley and has some decent form if you look back far enough. Some Of the market leaders have better recent form, but I will take a chance on him against some exposed and aging rivals. 2nd run after a wind op.

Jacob’s Pillow - Small EW interest on the Bastiman runner as he is a 2x course and distance winner and well handicapped on some of last seasons efforts. Not been in great form on the all weather this winter but could go well if having a good day.

3.20 Beverley

Nefarious - A winner on handicap debut on the all weather over this distance in January, some unexposed horses in here so it is tough to call but he just edges it for me as he has had a run more recently than the other 2 market principals. Could just be a slight bit fitter and has run well enough on turf.

4.25 Beverley

Never Be Enough - Handicap debutante for Keith Dalgleish who has shown promise in a couple of runs last season. Can be a little keen but a chance is taken on this filly running a respectable race. The favourite could well take this, but is 0-14 and also tries a new trip today so I am more than happy to leave that one alone.

4.55 Beverley

Proud Archi - a 3x course winner who is reasonably treated on a couple of good efforts last summer, also had a pipe opener at Doncaster at the end of March so could be spot on for this task. Class 3 winner last season, runs in class 4 here.

Ew Lucky 15/Singles
Prestbury Park 2.50
Nefarious 3.20
Never Be Enough 4.25
Proud Archi 4.55

PAY FOR THE DAY EW SINGLE....
JACOB’S PILLOW 2.50

Good luck if you are having a bet today or over the weekend and i’ll Be back soon.

damon2290

Postby damon2290 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Not a great day, Nefarious not good enough today, Prestbury Park came 3rd but was nowhere near the front 2, Jacob’s Pillow was never in the race and Never Be Enough was running a big race but seemed to take a false step and was eased right off when just coming through, hopefully no permanent damage done to the latter as he could have a decent future handicapping off that evidence. One to go with Proud Archi needed to save the day.

damon2290

Postby damon2290 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:11 am

A cracking day of racing ahead especially from Sandown Park where there are a few interesting Group races that I am sure will throw up plenty of winners in the Months ahead. I have stuck to the handicaps today though, as some of the level weights races look unpredictable with plenty of runners having their first outings of the season. It could be a minefield of a day so just sticking to 4 selections from 3 races.

1.40 Doncaster

Felix - Sir Michael is just hitting a nice bit of form with his last 3 runners winning well, and I am often wrong but I just don’t think the form of the fav is all that hot. The selection is having his first run of the season so I am taking it on trust that he is ready to go, but if on song he could be a major player stepped up in trip on handicap debut.

Spencer’s Son - Small stakes Ew play in the same race here although the form of the stable has put me off slightly. I particularly like the way his debut race has worked out, He finished 6th that day and all bar one of the horses ahead of him have come out and won at least once. He could be one to watch in future handicaps going forward but I will be having a few quid on today regardless.

1.50 Sandown

Reggae Runner - Beaten a neck on handicap debut at Musselburgh but travelled really well into the race that day and goes off the same handicap mark here. He looks progressive, has won over the distance and would have won well last time had he not bumped into one. I will be disappointed if this Johnston runner doesn’t at least go close here.

4.05 Sandown

Kurious - Won at this track on debut and was then highly tried in her next couple of runs as a two year old. Including a run in the Group 2 Queen Mary at Royal Ascot and a listed race at the back end of the season at Newmarket. She ran with credit in both races though, and will hopefully progress further this year. Again it is her first run of the season so fitness is taken on trust, but fingers crossed she can go well.

Ew Trixie/Singles;

Felix 1.40 Doncaster
Reggae Runner 1.50 Sandown
Kurious 4.05 Sandown

PAY FOR THE DAY EW SINGLE

SPENCERS SON 1.40 Doncaster

Good luck with whatever you back and enjoy the racing this weekend.

damon2290

Postby damon2290 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:33 pm

No hiding from the fact it hasn’t been a great day again unfortunately, Felix was kept too far back and didn’t have the legs to pick up and Spencer’s Son ran no sort of race, in fairness the Fav was very good today and did it really nicely. Reggae Runner was also disappointing and the drift before the off was telling. The only glimmer of hope was Kurious who finished a close 2nd and was desperately unlucky not to win after being given a poor ride in my opinion. I was also surprised there wasn’t a stewards enquiry as there was interference towards the finish! Anyhow she will win her share of good sprints this summer.

tafflizgreg

Postby tafflizgreg » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 pm

keep going enjoy your write ups will come good soon

damon2290

Postby damon2290 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for the kind words pal, hopefully a winner is just around the corner. :D

damon2290

Postby damon2290 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:21 am

A quality day of racing on offer this Saturday for lovers of both codes, also as far as I’m aware the rain has come up north so I have chosen with that in mind.

2.05 Haydock

Cold Stare - The positive jockey booking caught my eye here as James Doyle takes the ride for David O’Meara, the selection has won over course and distance and will enjoy the ground with a bit of cut in it. First run of the season in a decent race so I am a little cautious of that, but this 4yo is still relatively lightly raced and likely has more progression to come this year.

2.55 Ripon

Gin in the Inn - Won this race last year for Richard Fahey off 1lb lower and is usually best caught fresh off a break. This is an extremely tight handicap though, and is also named after one of the runners in the field Pipers Note, who would have been the selection if the ground hadn’t softened up. Many in here with live chances and I don’t expect there to be much in it at the line.

3.35 Sandown

Just A Sting - Lightly raced 7yo who surely hasn’t reached his full potential yet and is unexposed over marathon trips. The selection has won over 3M on good going though which he should get here, so I am hopeful that he will stay the extra distance and he sneaks in with a nice low weight which always helps. Could be better than 136 and Harry Fry’s gelding has been well backed overnight.

4.50 Haydock

Ledham - Looks to be the one in the field with the most potential for his master trainer who works wonders with his 4yo+ horses. First time up so obviously I am trusting that he is ready to go but I feel that a mark of 89 might not reach the ceiling of his ability. Even if today isn’t the day he will likely be one to keep an eye on this season as a typical Stoute improver.

EW Lucky 15/EW Singles

Cold Stare 2.05 Haydock
Gin in the Inn 2.55 Ripon
Just a Sting 3.35 Sandown
Ledham 4.50 Haydock (Win Single)

Good Luck if you are having a punt this weekend :)

damon2290

Postby damon2290 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Truly awful today, 1 to go then Sunday off needed I think. Back next week apologies for the bad form it’s not always this atrocious I swear :lol:

damon2290

Postby damon2290 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:42 pm

Just one for Tuesday until form picks back up;

3.35 Nottingham

Hateya 6/1 EW - Ran well last month to finish 3rd on the artificial surface at Lingfield on the back of a 7 month break. Pat Cosgrave takes the ride notably it is his only one of the day. Interesting piece of form last year on penultimate start of the season when beaten 1 and a quarter lengths by Move Swiftly whilst giving him 4lbs. That rival now rated 100+. Has won on turf and should go well.

damon2290

Postby damon2290 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:52 pm

Hateya came 2nd but no complaints here, ran a very good race after drifting to 11/1 and just lost out by a length to Daddies Girl who finished strongly. :D

Return to “Race Discussion”