Noob Question

Any comments on today's racing. Please don't just put in selections ... please add some reason why you think a runner will win
Snizza

Noob Question

Postby Snizza » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 pm

I have a question that might be plain and simple to people who know their racing but confuses me.

When looking at a race card on RacingPost for example. It has an OR which I believe is the horses Official Rating and if it is 140 now when it was 133 last time out that means the horse is carrying an extra 7lbs?

But then it has the Weight above the OR. Is this the Jockeys weight and should it be paid any attention as those weights tend to fluctuate more and how do they decide if at all what weight the jockey is meant to be?

martinkil

Re: Noob Question

Postby martinkil » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:12 am

The weight is the weight carried by the horse = Jockey's weight + any lead to make up the difference

In a handicap the race conditions will determine the top weight o be carried. The top rated runner via OR carries that top weight. All other runners carry a lower rate related to their OR, down to a minimum weight for the race.

There are exceptions to this with things like penalties, apprentice jockey allowance etc

Snizza

Re: Noob Question

Postby Snizza » Sun May 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks for the reply martin!

Return to “Race Discussion”