Sunday 10th June

Any comments on today's racing. Please don't just put in selections ... please add some reason why you think a runner will win
Devasteve

Sunday 10th June

Postby Devasteve » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:37 am

Sadly that didn't work this week Martin, as the winner at Musselburgh totally escaped me! However, the other pair were there somewhere, although I would only have snaffled the last one with my two-pronged approach.

Just to keep my hand in, as I obviously need practice!! I decided to drop down in class today at Goodwood. Not the greatest of races, but at least it’ll get the pain over early!

Goodwood 14.00 Cl 3 Hcap 95 (95) 7f gd/fm – 9 Run
3yo = 10lbs wfa allowance

Last year – 97 (92) gd – 9 ran
Aventinus 6/1 3-8-12 (84) Dr 2 by 0.75l from Medburn Dream 3/1 4-9-6 (82) Dr 4
The Warrior 5/1 5-20-0 (90) Dr 9 was 2.1l 5th

Charles Molson 7-9-10 (91) Dr 5
24 May Cl 2 Hcap (156 d) 7f gd/fm Good (100) 8/1 2.25l 2/8 off 90
Held up in touch in rear of main group, switched left over 2f out, headway on outer and edging right over 1f out, chased clear winner entering final furlong, stayed on for clear 2nd but never threatening winner
Not the greatest strike rate, but beat the veteran Heaven’s Guest at Newcastle in mid-December; didn’t run badly on return, finishing midfield to Ripp Orf in the Victoria Cup; showed the benefit of the run when runner-up to Love Dreams over C&D, although never threatening the winner, conditions should suit and runs off only 1lb higher today.
Plus: class (W); going (W); distance (W); course (F); trainer (14d); form run lto (17 days); down in class;
Minus: up 1lb; poor win record (2/34 on turf; 4/43 overall)
Verdict: (43) decent effort following Victoria Cup return and a credible contender.
Sir Titan 4-9-3 (84) Dr 1
25 May Cl 4 Hcap (67 s) 7f gd/sf Good (85) 11/2 0.25l 1/10 off 80
Made all, shaken up over 1f out, driven inside final furlong, held on gamely towards finish
Game effort to make all on second run back here, for which he’s been raised 4lbs; however, that was only a Cl 4 and it’ll be harder work to hold off this better field; nevertheless runs off the same mark as when just caught by Battered in a Cl 2 over C&D last August.
Plus: class (F); going (W); distance (W); course (W); trainer (14d); trainer (C); form run lto (16 days);
Minus: up 4 lbs; up in class;
Verdict: (42) goes well for Hayley and again a contender despite the rise in class.
Del Parco 4-8-13 (80) Dr 7
18 May Cl 4 Hcap (78 u) 7f gd/fm Nwmkt (80) 7/2 F 1.1l 4/12 off 79
Led, ridden over 1f out, driven and hard pressed 1f out, headed inside final furlong, no extra and weakened towards finish
Lightly raced (9th start) and won well enough on turf at Lingfield last month, but couldn’t follow through and justify favouritism at Newmarket a week later; tougher task today, up another 1lb and raised in class.
Plus: going (F); distance (W); trainer (14d); trainer (C); form run lto (23 days);
Minus: class (?); course (?); up 1lb; up in class;
Verdict: (37) improvement needed up in class and weight and not the strongest contender.
Ateem 3-8-11 (88) Dr 6
Lightly-raced 3yo (9th start) who won well enough over 8f at Brighton at the start of last month; but that was a Cl 4 and a poor start ruined any chance he might have had when raised to Cl 2 over C&D here lto, although at 25/1 expectations obviously weren’t great; will need to get away on terms today, but Levey back in the saddle.
Plus: going (W); distance (F); trainer (C); recent form run (33 days); down in class;
Minus: class (?); course;
Verdict: (33) not entirely dismissed given wfa allowance, but not the strongest contender on form to date.
King Of Nepal 4-8-11 (78) Dr 8
24 Jan Cl 4 Hcap (65 u) 7f AW Kemp (82) 5/4 F 0.02l 1/8 off 74
Took keen hold behind leader, ridden 2f out, led entering final furlong and drifted to rail, went nose to nose with runner-up from just inside final furlong until line, just held on
January win probably didn’t look that special at the time, but runner-up Ripp Orf was to improve enough to take the Victoria Cup, which makes the 4lbs KON was raised look very feasible; true, he hasn’t run since, but was just starting to look as if he was beginning to get the hang of things; word of warning though, while he’s 3/4 on the AW he’s 0/4 on turf, although all before he was gelded.
Plus: distance (W); trainer (14d); trainer (C); form run lto; career best lto;
Minus: class (?); going; course (?); up 4lbs; up in class; 137-day break;
Verdict: (33) contender if converting AW form to turf on return from a 4-month break.

A field of lightly-raced improvers and more experienced souls who find it hard to win. Of the latter variety is last year’s 5th, The Warrior who returns off a 5lbs lower mark and some reasonable AW form of late. However, a 1/29 mark on turf saw him fail to make the list. Of the younger variety is Del Parco, who looks to need further improvement to make a mark here and he is the first to leave the list. I have a similar feeling about the 3yo Ateem too, although it may not be wise to read too much into last time’s tardy start here. Nevertheless, I’m inclined to pass. Of the remaining trio, King Of Nepal could leave me with egg on the face, but coming back from a 4-month break and yet to win on turf are a couple of negatives and I prefer to go with Charles Molson from Sir Titan with King Of Nepal the danger.

Return to “Race Discussion”