10 reasons not to bet today!

Any comments on today's racing. Please don't just put in selections ... please add some reason why you think a runner will win
gpnt

10 reasons not to bet today!

Postby gpnt » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Sorry I'm late posting this
I don't subscribe to their service,but very worthwile signing up a checking there free daily racecard.

I received this email from them today

I sent you an email earlier this week, with some ideas on how to recharge your betting batteries if you think you are getting a bit stale and maybe losing more than you should be.

So from this short list of things I advised you TO DO that could help your betting, I thought it may be helpful to put up a list of things I suggest that you DON'T DO.

Simple suggestions that may help you think of other things that come to mind also. Things you actually could stop doing, or know that you should stop doing, that would put you in a better place profitability wise, come the end of each year.

Some are pretty obvious and some maybe not so and they are not absolutely set in stone. All can be ignored, or adjusted slighty to suit your betting style. You are the Master of your betting, but take a look and see if there is anything you agree with me on.

They are just a few things that have helped me over the years.

So in no particular order and either with or without any reasons, here goes:

1. Don't back in Maiden races, or any races where there is none or very little previous form. Unless you are following a certain Trainer or Trainer/Jockey combination that you are aware of that do well in these types of races. Hunter Chases could be put in the same bracket here I think.

2. Don't back in Amateur Rider races. Unless you are on a horse with one of the top two or three amateur riders, but even then the price is likely to be shorter than it should be as the bookies will have taken into account the better amateur jockeys.

3. Don't back very inexperienced jockeys when they are rising against professional jockeys or apprentice jockeys with far more experience. Here I mean not backing jockeys claiming ten pounds or maybe seven pounds, when they are up against apprentices claiming five or three pounds. If you follow jockeys and have spotted a good one coming through before he or she drops to a lesser claim, then all well and good.

4. Don't, as some seem to suggest when you think you have super value, double your stake on a 33/1 shot if you think it should be a lot shorter. These 33/1 shots and other big priced outsiders don't win very often at all and when they do, just be happy you had something on it! Leave this sort of thing to the Pro's who generally know a lot more than we do. I read before that a number of pro bettors, have turned a losing year into a very good winning one, just because of one or two big bets at big prices. Hopefully this doesn't contradict my point here but these guys have huge betting banks, spend there life at the race track or watching horse racing and are turning over hundreds of thousands of pounds each year. They are in a different league to the vast majority of us, who are probably turning over hundreds and thousands of pennies each year :)

5. Opposite end of the scale, don't back short priced horses or odds on shots on a regular basis. Just try it for a day or two and if you are not already aware of how many races these short priced horses don't win, then be prepared to be surprised! Usually it's when you are chasing losses or doubling your stakes. You also have to have an amazingly good strike rate to make any sort of profits. If you do back a short priced runner, then make sure you are confident it has a proper chance of winning, but in general just don't back short priced runners at all - it's a lot less harmful to your health and wealth.

6. Don't bet when the goings are extreme, either Heavy or Firm/Hard, unless you really have checked that your horse will go on the surface. It's easy to just 'hope' the horse will be okay, or think that because it is a front runner and the going is heavy, then it 'might' get a lead and be hard to catch. In reality it will probably be treading water, or mud, from the off and never get going. If the going is extreme, especially heavy, it is likely that Trainers will pull their runners out if they don't want them to run, then you have a race full of mudlarks, plodding away, seeing who can walk home faster than the others and in all honesty, anything could win.

7. Don't turn on the telly or the computer just as a race is just about to start and scan the card in seconds before placing a bet.

8. Don't bet on Irish racing, or foreign racing in general unless you study the form of these horses regularly. This is one for me especially as I would bet a lot of money (ha ha) that over the years I have never, ever fared well backing on Irish races. The reason I do well on UK races, is because I understand UK races, I know how they work and the handicapping etc.. I know the Trainers and Jockeys more and just think I have that 'feel' for UK races and that helps when you have an instinct on something or what might happen.

9. If you don't go to the races very often, then just enjoy the evening and take a little extra money, expect to lose it but win if you are lucky. This is one time I would possibly be a little care free and just have fun. It's a great day out, or evening as I mostly go, so unless you have looked into a race or two and have a real fancy, just let your hair down, back some outsiders for a few quid each way and what happens will happen, without getting serious at all.

10. Don't bother telling your friends or work colleagues that you are interested in betting or that you have had a good winner. They really won't be interested, think your a bit of a low life bum and will most likely be secretly jealous when you do show them a winning slip, without showing much excitement for you at the time. Just keep your success to yourself, it's much easier in the lmong run I assure you.

DO HOWEVER, if it is at all possible, treat your betting money as something you really don't want to give away. Treasure it, look after it, really try and watch it grow. Remember, any profit at the end of the year is far, far better than the vast majority of punters will end up with.

It could help you to make a list like this yourself and refer back to it during the season, if you need a little reminder of what you shouldn't be doing.

If you have any of your own DON'TS that you would like to add, then please let me know and I will add them to my list, as I will be posting this list on the Blog or somewhere on the site soon, so the more ideas we have the better.

Ian Welch

http://www.informracing.com/

P.S You can of course help yourself to a better way of betting if you hit the link below and start reading some of our 80+ Blog posts.

http://www.informracing.com/blog/

I have also added a 12 month subscription option this morning for those interested in a longer membership.

http://www.informracing.com/subscribe/

info@informracing.com
http://www.informracing.com
42 Edinburgh Avenue, Rickmansworth, Herts WD3 8LE, UNITED KINGDOM

Return to “Race Discussion”