Dobbing for beginners (me)

Any comments on today's racing. Please don't just put in selections ... please add some reason why you think a runner will win
James23_uk

Dobbing for beginners (me)

Postby James23_uk » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi all.

I'm just starting on Dobbing and using the moneyform cards to pick my selections. I'm more interested in volume churn than making any significant profit, although profit would be good too of course.

To save me some time would be great if anyone could let me know the key dos and don'ts and horses/races to avoid etc. I was doing quite well until I hit saturday. Are more competitive days one to avoid? Are there any price-bands I should avoid? (I found early on that larger SP prices seem to be better?).

So far I've been picking horses with the following simple rules:
1) 70% or more DOB history
2) Minimum of 3 DOBs in form (excluding winners)
3) SP prices of 15 or bigger.

Views or any help please?

martinkil

Re: Dobbing for beginners (me)

Postby martinkil » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Have you had a look at the dobbing reports - https://www.patternform.co.uk/aboutdobbingreports.htm
I know they only cover 2012 to 2016 (I really need to get them updated - but I lost the software in the 2017 disaster), but I doubt that they have changed that much ( except jockey and trainer maybe)

martinkil

Postby martinkil » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:09 pm

James23_uk

Postby James23_uk » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:17 pm

martinkil wrote:http://www.patternform.co.uk/reports/DobbingReport_bfsp_ord_sorted_by_dobpct.htm

Maybe it's better to go with shorter prices runners!

Great, I might have known there was something somewhere but I can't see my nose in front of my face! Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

GMBing

Postby GMBing » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:52 pm

I know it is never popular to knock Dobbing or short green up trading but I did spend several years exploring it on the exchange with Bet Angel Pro with Excel interface and 2 second record data Macros watching in- trading data with auto bet pkace and close.
I never made anything that could be described as a sustainable profit or edge over the markets.
And yet using Patternform, the Racing Post and the old fashioned boring technique of backing more winners than their implied probability I do far better.
Just my personal experience and observations.

Return to “Race Discussion”