Winner without a penalty (almost)

Any comments on today's racing. Please don't just put in selections ... please add some reason why you think a runner will win
martinkil

Winner without a penalty (almost)

Postby martinkil » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:51 am

In the 5.10 at Sandown - What An Angel- 4/1 general (backed from 6/1 early) - could be really well handicapped.
Initially assigned a rating of 81 last year never really showed form anywhere near that since. Finished last season off down the field in a couple of class 2 nursery handicaps. Had a couple of AW handicaps and showed promise but finished weakly.

Was gelded after, and started this season off a rating of 73 and a 14-1 shot against a hotshot Motamayiz 5/6F (had started fav on it other two hcap runs winning the second) who was obviously also thought to be well handicapped. The pair made smooth headway on the outside taking the lead between them about one and a half furlongs out. Initially, What An Angel looked to be going better trading as low as 1.1 in play, (I had backed it in play myself soon after the starts when it appeared to be going well out the back early on), but was out battled by the fav, the pair pulling almost 4l clear of the 3rd with the rest another 4l behind.

The winner will be raised at least 6lb for the run (was raised 6lb for a 3 and 3/4 length win last time), and What An Angel will get another 5lb for it's next start, but today it runs off 73.

I think the 7f will suit, the question is whether he'll bounce which is possible, but might be worth the risk at what could seem a generous price by 5.15.

Return to “Race Discussion”